Everybody can calm down about Rosetta 2 performance now

https://www.macrumors.com/2020/11/15/m1-chip-emulating-x86-benchmark/

Apple said once that Rosetta 2 translates apps before first launch, so it isn’t realtime emulation. Isn’t this what Xbox is doing with 360 games? (although they’re pre-converted and downloaded from MS rather than the machine doing it)

Conversation 13 comments

• wright_is

Premium Member
    16 November, 2020 - 2:12 am

<p>They had already announced at the WWDC that it was translated to native ARM instructions on first launch, so the initial launch will be slower, but thereafter faster. The Windows on Qualcomm, on the other hand interprets it on the fly every time.</p>

• waethorn

16 November, 2020 - 2:21 am

<blockquote><em><a href="#593254">In reply to wright_is:</a></em></blockquote><p>This is what I was talking about. I wonder if the original file gets replaced with the new one or if the OS just tracks that the original executable is x86 and launches another cached file elsewhere in the file system.</p>

• paradyne

16 November, 2020 - 11:01 am

<blockquote><em><a href="#593254">In reply to wright_is:</a></em></blockquote><p>It does not just interpret on the fly every time. It also translates blocks of code and the XTA Cache service saves those to disk for future use. This avoids a long delay at first run but accelerates the execution as more of the app gets used.</p>

• matsan

16 November, 2020 - 2:14 am

<p>So less than 25% penalty for the translated emulation, full 64-bit support and Universal Apps pouring in. Seems like WoA just went DoA.</p>

• waethorn

16 November, 2020 - 2:23 am

<blockquote><em><a href="#593255">In reply to matsan:</a></em></blockquote><p>WoA was DOA from the start. I can't even imagine why Microsoft didn't do this in Windows when the technology already existed for Xbox. Why is Apple so good at this and Microsoft so bad?</p>

• matsan

16 November, 2020 - 3:28 am

<blockquote><em><a href="#593259">In reply to Waethorn:</a></em></blockquote><p>As noted above by bkkcanuck – the fact that 16-bit applications are still supported in Windows 10 and all the other legacy APIs is… pathetic?</p><p>Apple burned the bridge in Catalina when they finally put Carbon API to rest and may now move forward.</p>

• waethorn

17 November, 2020 - 2:42 am

<blockquote><em><a href="#593266">In reply to matsan:</a></em></blockquote><p>16-bit applications are only supported on 32-bit versions. When was the last time you saw an OEM system ship with a 32-bit version at all?</p><p><br></p><p>That's a trick question: OEM systems don't ship with 32-bit preloads anymore because of Microsoft's rules.</p><p><br></p><p>Yes, they do have 32-bit images available as there are special use cases for it, but only in client desktop and embedded images. They also still support legacy BIOS's even though that technology support was added all the back in Windows Vista SP1.</p>

• matsan

17 November, 2020 - 3:18 am

<blockquote><em><a href="#593491">In reply to Waethorn:</a></em></blockquote><p>OK – I see that NTVDM is only supported on 32-bit – phew! </p><p>(I helped a friend getting his EEPROM-programmer (with parallel-port interface) and compiler (both 16-bit DOS applications) running under Windows 10 during the Covid-summer when he took up 8-bit development on the 80535 CPU).</p>

• curtisspendlove

16 November, 2020 - 5:22 am

<blockquote><em><a href="#593259">In reply to Waethorn:</a></em></blockquote><p><em>Apple so good at this and Microsoft so bad?</em></p><p><br></p><p>Apple has done this before. At least twice. And have been working at it full-speed ahead for years now. </p><p><br></p><p>They have hardware and software teams that can work in lock-step on a complete, custom solution. </p><p><br></p><p>Microsoft has far more complexity: a third-party chip team (design and fab) and significantly more legacy baggage. </p><p><br></p><p>Apple has been shedding legacy baggage like crazy the last few years. Everything that was in the way, gonzo…no worky. </p>

• peterc

Premium Member
      16 November, 2020 - 5:45 am

<blockquote><em><a href="#593255">In reply to matsan:</a></em></blockquote><p>I look forward to seeing how people receive win 10X next spring, which I’m assuming will “dump legacy” and cover arm and intel chipsets for this brave new world! ?</p><p><br></p><p>Its time for change people, and you just know how long term windows users love change! </p>

• matsan

16 November, 2020 - 7:33 am

<blockquote><em><a href="#593284">In reply to peterc:</a></em></blockquote><p>It's always the next version of Windows that will save the world, isn't it? </p>

• peterc

Premium Member
          16 November, 2020 - 7:55 am

<blockquote><em><a href="#593293">In reply to matsan:</a></em></blockquote><p>? </p>

• Paul Thurrott

Premium Member
          16 November, 2020 - 9:35 am

<blockquote><em><a href="#593293">In reply to matsan:</a></em></blockquote><p>ALWAYS!</p>

Windows Intelligence In Your Inbox

"*" indicates required fields

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Thurrott © 2024 Thurrott LLC