We Help Wednesday (16th August 2017)

Created the We Help Wednesday Thread because I wanted to ask a question this week and the thread would otherwise probably be created while I’m asleep (thanks time zones) – Hope that’s OK.

Conversation 3 comments

• andrewtechhelp

Premium Member
    16 August, 2017 - 1:18 am

<p>This question is probably a Rafael style question, so sorry I missed last week.</p><p><br></p><p>With Windows 10 S, Microsoft promotes this SKU of Windows by talking about how apps delivered by the Windows Store&nbsp;won't slow down your system over time because Store Apps don't have programs in the background such as updaters running etc.</p><p><br></p><p>However, several of the apps brought over via the Centennial Desktop Bridge such as Spotify, ShareX and even EarTrumpet (which I think Rafael wrote) install processes that load at startup (either because the application requires it because it is that type of utility, or in the case of Spotify because they have an annoying default setting of starting up with Windows). They may not be updaters, but they still run in the background.</p><p><br></p><p>So the question is: What would stop a Windows 10 S system from become just as slow and clogged up as a Windows 10 Pro system by simply installing a bunch of apps from the Windows Store that install background processes? Does the Centennial Desktop Bridge's limit the amount of resources these processes can use or the types of things that can be done, or is it identical to how it works today without the Centennial Desktop Bridge?</p>

• Usman

Premium Member
    16 August, 2017 - 9:01 am

<p>On the insider builds, after shutting down, it reopens all the programs that were open before with their state intact (chrome open with the same tabs etc). It becomes worse when I have Visual studio and other ram intensive programs opening up because I didn't close them before shutting down my laptop.</p><p><br></p><p>I want to keep pick up where you left off, but don't want it to actually do it automatically on boot up. Are you aware of any way around this.</p><p><br></p><p>I'm linking to my post in feedback hub, hopefully people who are also annoyed by this can upvote it.</p><p><br></p><p>https://aka.ms/o6yuy5</p><p><br></p><p>Thanks</p><p><br></p><p><br></p&gt;

• Brad Sams

Premium Member
    16 August, 2017 - 12:24 pm

<p>Hey guys…wont be a thread for this week…save them for next week please!</p>

Windows Intelligence In Your Inbox

"*" indicates required fields

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Thurrott © 2024 Thurrott LLC