We Help Wednesday (23 August 2017)

I noticed that dates are formatted dd/mm/yy in Web version of my Outlook Calendar. Can I choose the US mm/dd/yy format instead?

Conversation 5 comments

• andrewtechhelp

Premium Member
    23 August, 2017 - 9:26 am

<p>This question is probably a Rafael style question, so sorry I missed the We Help Wednesday from a few weeks ago.</p><p><br></p><p>With Windows 10 S, Microsoft promotes this SKU of Windows by talking about how apps delivered via the Windows Store won't slow down your system over time. They say this is achieved through a number of measures, one being that Store Apps don't have processes running in the background such as updaters etc.</p><p><br></p><p>However, several of the apps in the Windows Store that use the Centennial Desktop Bridge install processes that load at startup.</p><p>Examples:</p><p class="ql-indent-1"><strong>Spotify</strong> – The default behaviour for Spotify, even when obtained via the Windows Store is to start up when Windows signs in. This actually annoys me about Spotify and I turn it off whenever I install it</p><p class="ql-indent-1"><strong>ShareX</strong> – This also configures itself to start up when Windows signs in. This I can understand, it needs to be running to be activated on request.</p><p class="ql-indent-1"><strong>EarTrumpet</strong> (which I think Rafael wrote) – This I also understand needs to start up when Windows signs in, so it can sit in your Notification Area on the Taskbar to use it.</p><p><br></p><p>None of these applications are starting updater background processes, and in some cases starting background processes on startup is critical for the entire point of the application, but they're still running in the background just like on Windows 10 Pro.</p><p><br></p><p>So the 2 questions that come out of this are:&nbsp;</p><p><br></p><p><strong>What would stop a Windows 10 S system from become just as slow and clogged up as a Windows 10 Pro system by simply installing a bunch of apps from the Windows Store that install background processes?&nbsp;</strong></p><p><br></p><p><strong>AND</strong></p><p><br></p><p><strong>Does Windows 10 S or the Centennial Desktop Bridge limit the amount of resources these processes can use in the background or the types of things that can be done in the background, or is it identical to how it works on Windows 10 Pro without the Centennial Desktop Bridge?</strong></p>

• Chris_Kez

Premium Member
    23 August, 2017 - 10:23 am

<p>Not a technical question, but have you guys considered doing interviews as part of the Premium offerings? Maybe talk to a developer who's got a solid new UWP app or an ISV who has (or will soon) package up something using the Centennial Bridge? Or perhaps interview some developers from across the iOS, Android and Windows camps and talk about their plans for AR/VR/MR? </p><p>I imagine you guys have a ton of contacts or at least the reach to get connected with some interesting folks. I'd love to see you take advantage of that to write some more exclusive Premium content that really differentiates Thurrott.com from other tech sites.</p>

• Brad Sams

Premium Member
    23 August, 2017 - 10:37 am

<p>Hey Guys,</p><p><br></p><p>Sorry about this, we had to record very early this morning as I have a sick kid at home…will resume normal WhW next week.</p><p><br></p><p>Thanks!</p>

• Chris_Kez

Premium Member
      23 August, 2017 - 11:52 am

<blockquote><a href="#168177"><em>In reply to brad-sams:</em></a></blockquote><p>I hope she feels better. My four year old is a handful when she's sick. If there's a thread for the Friday live show I'll post over there since I didn't really have a technical question anyway.</p>

Windows Intelligence In Your Inbox

"*" indicates required fields

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Thurrott © 2024 Thurrott LLC