Windows Phone guy goes ‘Rogue’ (Android) UPDATE 2

Hi Readers

For those that are interested I thought I would give another update about going from and only ever using a WP smart phone to something else, for me Android, with a OnePlus 3t. Its been around 3 weeks now as my daily phone.

You can either laugh at this first part or say WTF you idiot. Now the very first day of use I thought WHAT IS WRONG with this phone, I can’t answer a call. Now never having used anything else apart from a WP no one told me to slide the phone button to answer a call not just touch it ??.

Now to the serious stuff.

Firstly the phone. I have to say its awesome. Its fast very fast, well compared to what I’ve had before my 950. The only thing hardware wise that I wouldn’t say isn’t as good, being picky is the screen. But then for the cost of the phone I think too have a top processor, good memory and storage its worth the trade off. And the phone construction and build feel and look premium.

Battery life WOW. I can be a heavy user sometimes. In the past I would always charge my phone in the day for worrying it would die. Not now. And if it does need charging quick, super quick.

Now about using the phone. Do I miss my Windows Phone. Yes I do, well elements of the phone OS. There are parts of the WP OS that are better, I could micro manage certain tasks, pinning certain settings.  Now some of this, the bits I miss will be because I am still learning how to use an Android based phone. Yes every OS will have parts better then the other. But this is about looking at the whole package, not 1 or 2 elements of an OS.

Would I go back to my Windows Phone as my daily driver though. For a fan of WP, someone who converted many to it ‘NO’ I wouldn’t. I would love too yes. But now for me it does come down to that one thing that WP is missing. APPS. Real good apps made for mobile. And the lack of a real premium device. WP had some great phones but looking back they lost there way.

I think it was on one of my other posts someone commented that they could and do use the web for the missing apps, sorry but that does not compare to a purpose built great mobile app. As an example I will use the Amazon app. Using this is no comparison.

I know there will still be Windows Phone fans that will not agree with what I say, exactly how I used to be. But from A Windows Phone fan to all others. Is it as bad as all that NO. Yes it takes time but now I have made that jump, as I said before I should have done this earlier. Well from my last WP my 950.

I still have so much to learn about using this new OS which is actually now an exciting thought not that daunting OH NO the evil of Google, Android thought.

I probably wont do another update. There isn’t really must else to say. All I hope is that my thoughts of going from WP to Android from an ordinary regular guy helps, helps those that were just like I used to be. Its really not as bad as you think and you actually may enjoy something new to play with.

Thanks for reading.

Conversation 7 comments

11 February, 2017 - 4:08 am

<p>As a person that left windows phone 4 months ago, I say welcome to the club :)</p>

11 February, 2017 - 6:06 am

<p>I think this will be the year Windows Phone dies.</p>

Premium Member
    11 February, 2017 - 8:58 am

<p>Thanks for your updates.</p>
    <p>Not sure if you are an Outlook.com user.</p>
    <p>If you are, on your OnePlus 3T do you have seamless 2-way sync of Mail, Contacts, Calendar (incuding Reminders) and Tasks with Outlook.com?</p>
    <p>If so, could you please outline what apps you are using to achieve that, e.g. Gmail App (via Exchange option), Outlook App, other, etc.?</p>
    <p>I ask because I read some Android users seem to have trouble especially with Contacts, Calendar sync, etc. with Outlook.com.</p>
    <p>I am deciding between Android and iPhone (having only used WP before) and 2-way Contacts, Calendar sync etc. is my first priority.</p>

Premium Member
      11 February, 2017 - 9:58 am

<blockquote><em><a href="#42081">In reply to </a><a href="../../../../users/S100">S100</a><a href="#42081">:</a></em></blockquote>
      <p>I’m a Microsoft guy. All my main stuff is&nbsp;Microsoft.</p>
      <p>Contacts do sync. Just for Pauls post about it. You have to add the account as an exchange if that makes sense.&nbsp;</p>
      <p>Outlook is my main email, you do need a Gmail tho for Android.&nbsp;</p>
      <p>Hope that helps.</p>
      <p>&nbsp;</p>

11 February, 2017 - 5:52 pm

<p>Glad things are working out for you…</p>
    <p>I’m not familiar with the OnePlus 3t from a hardware viewpoint but I’ve read it’s a very good phone. You seem to suggest it’s a lot faster than the 950 but I think it only fair to point out you’re not comparing apples and apples here… Android 6 or 7? v WM either stock or IP builds… either way with an OS that is not quite ready.</p>
    <p>I guess this is your point and the concern of many others. Just how will WM compare when it’s finally served up. (Others might suggest WM will never be quite ready…)</p>
    <p>"<em>…Would I go back to my Windows Phone as my daily driver though. For a fan of WP, someone who converted many to it &lsquo;NO&rsquo; I wouldn&rsquo;t. I would love too yes</em>."</p>
    <p>Not certain what you mean by this line as it sounds a tad contradictory, but at a guess I’d say you prefer the layout and feel of WM over Android. This might be as simple as still settling in with Android and nothing more. Only time will tell…</p>
    <p>For myself the simple layout of WM was the clincher. Combined with of course the start screen. I’m not app dependant and don’t happen to live in the major focus markets of the US, UK and parts of Europe so I’m somewhat used to not being catered for. So a 950XL with more than reasonable hardware @ AUD$300 and the choice for me was a no brainer.</p>
    <p>While on apps, let me say over and above Microsoft’s offerings I have managed to find a number of Sydney or Australian centric apps that add to the experience and I’m reasonably comfortable. Comfortable with running fast ring builds, battery life and reliability etc etc.</p>
    <p>Perhaps I’m not that much of a tech head and don’t dream of "sudo make my lunch" or looking at a single device to centre my world in and around. Maybe I’m in the minority here but I get the feeling that many phone users are seeking an interoperability that isn’t available right now. Just my opinion of course, but if and when such a device becomes widely available I very much doubt we will refer to it as a ‘phone’.</p>

Premium Member
      11 February, 2017 - 7:35 pm

<blockquote><em><a href="#42112">In reply to </a><a href="../../../../users/bra10n">bra10n</a><a href="#42112">:</a></em></blockquote>
      <p>Firstly the part where you say I’m contradicting myself. I don’t see how. I am a WP fan. Always have been always will. Would I love it to be a viable OS to compete&nbsp;of course I would. But it wont. I will not be going back because I have a device that is superior to my 950 and because now I have&nbsp;changed and found an app eco system that is, well something that WP will never be I have so much choice. As I said in one example I have found an app that shows what is possible.</p>
      <p>Yes I get there are those that WP will do just fine. I was always that way. I defended WP and still do. I have all the Microsoft apps I need to keep me in the ecosystem I use but I also have a huge array of apps that WP just doesn’t have and I am enjoying exploring those that I now use and the fact that if I find something I like or do the chances that there is going to be an app that will do something its going to be there on Android or IOS not WP.</p>
      <p>On the phone. I’m sorry but&nbsp;my 950 was supposed to be a flagship device from Microsoft. Its not in so many ways. And the battery is lacking. I guess a lot of what I say comes from my new experience. If you are happy I’m pleased. I’m just trying to give an opinion from a regular guy who took the leap and tried something new and that its not all that bad, actually its quite good fun.</p>
      <p>And yes I much prefer the&nbsp;Live&nbsp;Tiles. But now I like the fact that I Don’t have to wonder if there is an app for something I want to do. Its there. Even the Microsoft ones that I want and use every day.</p>
      <p>&nbsp;</p>
      <p>&nbsp;</p>
      <p>&nbsp;</p>

12 February, 2017 - 3:03 am

<p>Shane,</p>
    <p>I too recently switched from WP to Android. I guess you could call me a low-end guy. My first WP was the Lumia 520, and then I "upgraded" to the 640 when it was released in the U.S. on Cricket Wireless. The rest of my family all have WPs, too.</p>
    <p>However, I was the only one at the office with a WP (which isn’t really hard to believe), and was constantly teased for it. But I wore my WP badge with pride, that is until we started using services at work that didn’t have apps for WP. Frustrated with the lack of apps and support, I finally decided to switch.</p>
    <p>I again "upgraded" to the Alcatel Idol 4. I chose this phone because it was what Cricket Wireless offered that was a little better than my previous phone, but not so expensive that it would break my budget.</p>
    <p>There has been a learning curve for sure, and there are things I definitely miss about WP, but I constantly feel better about using a phone that is continually being supported with newer and better apps.</p>
    <p>On a side note, I was on the Insider program, so I had upgraded my WP to Windows 10 Mobile. After that I could never get the OneDrive app to correctly sync my pictures. I kept telling myself, "I’ll bet the OneDrive app on Android works better than this." Guess what? It does. When Microsoft can’t get their OWN app to work properly on their OWN OS, but it works flawlessly on their competitor’s OS, then you know there’s a problem.</p>
    <p>I still use Microsoft services: Office 365, OneDrive, Office Lens, Outlook.com, calendar, etc., but like Paul has pointed out, Microsoft has done a good job of integrating these services with Android.</p>
    <p>And, like you pointed out, it’s really nice to use the Amazon app again. Another nice think about using Android, is that all my photos are now saved to Google Photos, OneDrive and Amazon Prime Photos all at once! You can’t beat that.</p>

Windows Intelligence In Your Inbox

"*" indicates required fields

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Thurrott © 2024 Thurrott LLC