Photo DPI Scanning Question

Paul and members, when you scan photos do you scan higher than 600 DPI?

I’m starting a photo scanning project. Just found some more paper photos of ours and starting to scan my all of my parent’s papers photos.

From what I’ve read most sites recommend 600 DPI. They saying it’s a good resolution and the file isn’t very big. But now that HD space isn’t an issue now a days. I’m going to save these photos locally on my MacMini and iCloud/OneDrive, so space isn’t an issue for me.

So should I jump up to 1200 DPI for my scans? Is it worth it resolution wise? The ultimate plan here is to digitally archive these pictures for our children. So I’m sure they’ll be viewing them on their phones mostly. Maybe they’ll print some out, pfft who knows. But that leads to another question. If we should want to print any of these scanned photos would going higher than 600 DPI be better for that? Maybe the pictures that might be printed should be a higher DPI?

Thanks, any input ya’ll have from your experience would be appreciated.

Hey Happy Father’s Day to all the dad here! It’s a warm 100 degrees here in Houston. So I’m chilling out doing nerd stuff on my computer today. Will go out to eat once it cools off to the high 80s lol!

EDIT:

When you scan kid’s art work (drawings/physical art) do you scan them as a photo or PDF? Probably over thinking here. But just curious what ya’ll’s thoughts are on this particular one?

Windows Intelligence In Your Inbox

"*" indicates required fields

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Thurrott © 2024 Thurrott LLC