Questions for 10/27

Questions for the show? Drop them here!

Conversation 21 comments

• adamcorbally

26 October, 2017 - 9:08 am

<p>One of my tweets but I think it deserves a shout/ discussion – </p><p><br></p><p> in what world wasn't it worth making a Xbox dongle to allow game streaming, smart TV and Cortana available throughout the home?!?</p><p><br></p><p><br></p><p>I'd pay for this now, if it was priced sub $100 it'd be a big Christmas seller gaurenteed </p>

• hrlngrv

Premium Member
    26 October, 2017 - 10:57 am

<p>I realize it has its own separate forum thread, but will there be a <strong>flag</strong> button for spam and inapproprite comments? [just pronounce my user name as HUV.]</p>

• Chris_Kez

Premium Member
      26 October, 2017 - 11:26 am

<blockquote><a href="#210670"><em>In reply to hrlngrv:</em></a></blockquote><p>Rhymes with "glove"? I gotta ask about the provenance of that.</p>

• hrlngrv

Premium Member
        26 October, 2017 - 12:02 pm

<p><a href="#210676"><em>In reply to Chris_Kez:</em></a></p><p>Easiest to make all the middle letters nearly silent.</p>

• Chris_Kez

Premium Member
          26 October, 2017 - 1:31 pm

<blockquote><a href="#210691"><em>In reply to hrlngrv:</em></a></blockquote><p>Just trying to understand if hrIngrv is short for something, or a nickname, or a proper name, or some kind of portmanteau, or something else. Thurrott has an international audience so I imagine there are lots of different kinds of names here. I'm American but my last name is Hungarian and very long so friends and classmates went with Kez from a very young age. </p>

• Simard57

26 October, 2017 - 3:44 pm

<p>since 1709, it seems that at times Hello isn't working. I have the Spectre X360 and after lifting lid at times the camera doesn't activate. any idea how to diagnose it? I am thinking that the OS has the camera locked to another application but it isn't anything I did</p><p> </p>

• dalyIsaac

Premium Member
    26 October, 2017 - 5:55 pm

<p>How is mixer performing? Is it actually a viable competitor to Twitch and YouTube Gaming?</p>

• Bdsrev

26 October, 2017 - 6:51 pm

<p>Surface sales are up even though Consumer Reports basically told people to not buy them… that's impressive and deserves a mention! </p>

• Paul Thurrott

Premium Member
      27 October, 2017 - 9:14 am

<blockquote><a href="#210830"><em>In reply to Bdsrev:</em></a></blockquote><p>lol what</p><p><br></p><p>Surface sales are up because they launched two new devices.</p>

• Bdsrev

29 October, 2017 - 5:19 pm

<blockquote><a href="#210962"><em>In reply to paul-thurrott:</em></a></blockquote><p>Obviously, but it's reasonable to think that Consumer Reports press release would have cancelled out the new devices sales bump because every tech site under the sun reported that Consumer Reports doesn't recommend buying Surface computers. I think a lot of people were expecting flat or at best low single digits increase after that Consumer Reports story blew up. </p>

• Averroda

26 October, 2017 - 9:58 pm

<p>Brad, news came out about Delta, GE and now WalMart moving away from Windows and going to the Apple devices (iPhone and Mac). The stories I’ve read stated that this is due to the zero mobile play that Microsoft has. Do you believe this is the reason and should this make Microsoft worried that no mobile platform effects its enterprise customers just as it does its consumers?</p><p><br></p><p>Does this news put more pressure on Microsoft to get this Windows Core OS/ Andromeda device to maybe change the game for them in mobile? Perhaps make them push harder than they were expecting for this device?</p><p><br></p><p>Thanks in advance for answering. I enjoying listening to this show every week!</p><p><br></p><p><br></p>

• jlv632

26 October, 2017 - 9:58 pm

<p>With Windows Mobile Feature 2 released to the wild and really nothing else coming to the platform…. Could you think or see a way Microsoft could sell the W10M platform? </p><p>Much like Nokia abandoned Meego and Shallfish/Jolla and other enthusiasts picked it up. </p><p><br></p><p>I could imagine that once all Hardware has been supported for two years, Windows Mobile being sold to a Samsung or anyone looking to break away from Android/Google. It might be a long way behind Android / iOS but it is working, secure and could be a great leg up if someone wanted to try and be "Number 3" in the market.</p>

• Ron Diaz

27 October, 2017 - 9:42 am

<blockquote><a href="#210852"><em>In reply to jlv632:</em></a></blockquote><p>How much do you think Microsoft would have to pay someone to take this dog off their hands?</p><p>Just curious….</p>

• fzz

27 October, 2017 - 3:13 am

<p>The comment system on thurrott.com is fubar again for premium accounts. How many more screw-ups before y'all admit you really don't know how to do this?</p>

• Jules Wombat

27 October, 2017 - 8:08 am

<p>Does Brad have a cat ?</p>

• mikefarinha

27 October, 2017 - 8:44 am

<p>The new invoke looks awesome. But for me to want to buy it would need to have more functionality. Specifically do you know if Microsoft has on the roadmap any of the following features for Cortana?</p><p><br></p><p>* awareness of other Cortana devices in the vicinity (i.e. x box, pc, mobile, etc.)</p><p>* voice recognition for multiple MSA accounts</p><p>* stream music from OneDrive</p>

• gregsedwards

Premium Member
      27 October, 2017 - 12:32 pm

<blockquote><a href="#210946"><em>In reply to mikefarinha:</em></a></blockquote><p>I agree that all of this needs to happen. And the sooner the better for Microsoft and HK.</p>

• ponsaelius

27 October, 2017 - 8:59 am

<p>According to Nadella mixed reality is the next wave of computing. Looking at the headsets it seems rather more like Kinnect. Is MR the next wave or is there more hype than serious applications? </p>

• Paul Thurrott

Premium Member
      27 October, 2017 - 9:13 am

<blockquote><a href="#210956"><em>In reply to ponsaelius:</em></a></blockquote><p>It's not the next wave of anything. It's just an optional feature of current waves, PCs and smartphones. That few will use.</p>

• Sprtfan

27 October, 2017 - 9:30 am

<p>At the point that the Invoke gets access to Alexia and all of its skills, doesn't it become a pretty compelling option? </p>

• gregsedwards

Premium Member
    27 October, 2017 - 12:31 pm

<p>What's your advice for a living room setup that includes both an Xbox+Kinect and an Invoke? I don't want them both to chime in every time I say "Hey Cortana." Given that Kinect is on its way out, I've considered just removing it preemptively from my setup, but I'm also wondering if it might make sense to keep the Kinect, just disable/dial back the Cortana integration, and maybe even switch back to the old "Xbox…" style commands (assuming you can still even do that). </p><p>Also, do you think Microsoft will integrate Xbox into a more holistic "connected home" strategy, so that you could talk to smart agents – be they Cortana, Alexa, Siri, or Google Assistant – and ask them to power on/off your console, change the channel, launch apps, etc.? Do you think they'll release a new Media Remote with an integrated mic?</p>

Windows Intelligence In Your Inbox

"*" indicates required fields

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Thurrott © 2024 Thurrott LLC