Questions for 6/9

Questions for the show? Drop them here.

Conversation 6 comments

• michaelmartinez

08 June, 2017 - 5:28 pm

<p>Rather than reinvigorating Windows 10 Mobile in some form, wouldn't it just make more sense for Microsoft to continue to push its apps on Android and iOS? Arrow Launcher is pretty nifty, Office Mobile has fairly decent features, and the Xbox companion app seems complete. I know it's all about telemetry and metrics. Microsoft could still receive this data through its apps to enhance AI/ML rather than continuing its own mobile platform that garners less than 1% of the phone market.</p>

• Simard57

08 June, 2017 - 5:40 pm

<p>do you think there is a market for a decent small Windows 10 tablet?</p><p>I purchased a NuVision and regret it – it does not meet my needs not due to performance but due to short battery life. I would like a 6-8 hour 8" Windows 10 tablet that uses a pen; I also want 3:2 screen. I think that might have been Surface Mini but there is nothing suitable in the market and I am wondering why?</p><p><br></p>

• Chris_Kez

Premium Member
      09 June, 2017 - 4:13 pm

<blockquote><a href="#123764"><em>In reply to Simard57:</em></a></blockquote><p>I'd love a Surface Mini as well. I think there's just not enough of a market. It's too small for most people to comfortably run desktop productivity apps; too under-powered to run games; is less efficient with battery life than iOS or recent Android versions; has too few UWP apps to offset the aforementioned size, power and efficiency issues. If you want it to be decent you're probably looking at $500 or more for an OEM to source quality parts and optimize everything for the small size. And how big could that market be? </p><p>That said, I hold out hope that we'll see at least a new 10" Surface to showcase Windows on ARM.</p><p>If you're looking for something right now, I recommend finding a Lenovo Yoga Tablet 2 with Windows on eBay or from some other reseller. That's about as close as you'll get, though it's a 16:10 display (1920 x 1200). See review link below. I was very close to pulling the trigger on one of these after playing with it in Best Buy, but ultimately waited for the Surface 3 to come down in price. My experience with the Dell Venue 8 Pro convinced me that 8" was just a little too small for my needs.</p><p>http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2486404,00.asp</p&gt;

• MrPKI

08 June, 2017 - 6:05 pm

<p>Will it be more secure like Windows 10 S edition with no Chrome browser?</p>

• Simonshu

09 June, 2017 - 1:00 am

<p>Microsoft doesn't have an official app that can sync with the outlook note? There is no way I can see my outlook note on my phone or tablet.</p>

• Peter klobčič

09 June, 2017 - 3:20 am

<p>2 qustions </p><ol><li>is the new windows mobile going to be renewed windows mobile or full windows 10 on arm?</li><li>can we expect a comeback for astoria? or with full windows 10 maybe we can just use stock andorid emulators to lunch andorid apps? </li></ol><p> i dont see any push on uwp apps for phone size screens, only desktop bridge and they are even canceling the support for silverlight apps. </p><p><br></p>

Windows Intelligence In Your Inbox

"*" indicates required fields

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Thurrott © 2024 Thurrott LLC