As it does for every new Windows version, Microsoft today detailed those features that are deprecated or removed in Windows 10 version 1809.
“We occasionally remove features and functionality, usually because we’ve added a better option,” a Microsoft documentation page notes. “Here are the details about the features and functionalities that we removed in Windows 10 version 1809.”
To be clear, deprecated features are those that Microsoft is no longer developing and plans to remove in a future release. These include:
Companion device dynamic lock APIs. Because “third party partners didn’t adopt the CDF method” of unlocking a PC by using a nearby device, Microsoft is no longer developing the CDF Dynamic Lock APIs.
OneSync service. This service synchronizes data for the Mail, Calendar, and People apps. But the Outlook app now includes a new sync engine that provides the same functionality.
Snipping Tool. Yet another way to take a screenshot in Windows 10, the Snipping Tool is being replaced by a new universal app called Snip & Sketch that is, yes, yet another way to take a screenshot in Windows 10. That said, it does provide additional features too.
Removed features include:
- Business Scanning (Distributed Scan Management (DSM)
- The FontSmoothing setting in unattend.xml
- The Hologram app, which has been replaced with the Mixed Reality Viewer.
- The Phone Companion app. This will be removed when you upgrade to version 1809. It was replaced by the Phone page in the Settings app.
- Trusted Platform Module (TPM) management console